The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Komane Ramolwetsi
The spices and apple add delicious flavours to the soup and the potatoes give it a creamy texture.
1 large (1 kg) butternut, peeled and chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
2 tsp (10 ml) ground nutmeg
1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin
7 cups (1,75 litres) boiling water
½ cup (125 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Place veggies, apple and spices in a large pot with the water.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Remove from the heat, blend mixture until smooth or mash with a potato masher.
- Return mixture to the pot and add milk, lemon juice and pepper.
- Heat through and serve warm.
- This soup freezes well if liquidised. Make double and freeze for another day.
- Cauliflower soup: Replace the butternut with 400 g cauliflower and another 2 potatoes. Cook as above.
- Sweet potato can be used instead of the potatoes. The butternut can also be replaced with sweet potato for a sweet potato soup.