The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Marina Miller
Makes about 100 rusks
Rusks at tea time or for a coffee break are a delicious snack.
1 cup (250 ml) bran
6 cups (6 x 250 ml) cake flour
2 cups (500 ml) oats
2 tbsp (30 ml) baking powder
¾ cup (180 ml) sugar
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
½ cup (125 ml) sunflower or other seeds (optional)
1 cup (250 ml) sunflower oil
1 cup (250 ml) water
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups (500 ml) buttermilk or low-fat maas
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Lightly grease and line 2 x 20 cm cake tins or a large oven dish.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Rub oil into the dry ingredients with your fingertips until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Beat water, eggs and buttermilk. Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients until well blended.
- Spoon into baking tins. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the tins and cool. Slice into rusks and place on a baking tray.
- Heat oven to 100 °C and dry rusks out for 6-8 hours or overnight. Cool and pack in an airtight container.