The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Nompumelelo Diko
Makes 1 loaf
This is one of those popular South African recipes and is great for a side dish at a braai or as part of a lunch-box snack.
1 cup (250 ml) coarse mealie meal
2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
1 cup (250 ml) cake flour
½ tsp (2,5 ml) cayenne pepper or paprika or to taste
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
1 cup (250 ml) low-fat maas or buttermilk
3 eggs, beaten
¼ cup (60 ml) sunflower oil
1 x 410 g tin cream style sweetcorn
- Preheat oven to 180 °C and lightly grease a 1,5 litre bread tin.
- Place dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the maas, eggs, oil and sweetcorn. Mix into the dry ingredients until well blended.
- Spoon into the bread tin. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Grate 2-3 baby marrows and add to the mixture. Stir ¼ cup grated cheese, preferably reduced fat, into the batter or sprinkle half on top.