The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Elaine van Vuuren
Makes 1 loaf
Banana bread is a great way to use overripe bananas. It is perfect for a lunch-box snack for the kids.
5 tbsp (75 ml) sunflower oil
½ cup (125 ml) sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
4 ripe bananas, mashed
½ tsp (2,5 ml) bicarbonate of soda
¾ cup (180 ml) lukewarm low-fat or fat-free milk
1½ cups (375 ml) cake flour
½ cup (125 ml) wholewheat flour
½ tsp (2,5 ml) baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Lightly grease a 1,5 litre bread tin.
- Beat the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla and stir in bananas.
- Dissolve bicarb in milk and stir into the egg mixture.
- Place the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir in the egg mixture.
- Spoon batter into the bread tin and bake for about 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Add 1 tsp ground nutmeg and 1 tbsp ground cinnamon or mixed spice to the batter.