The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Buttermilk and cheese bread
Recipe from Lydia Franciscus
Makes 1 loaf
Many people know a recipe for a buttermilk bread using soup powder, but is very salty. This version works equally well and goes perfectly with a braai.
3 cups (750 ml) cake flour
¼ cup (60 ml) bran
1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
2 cups (500 ml) buttermilk
2 tbsp (30 ml) water
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mixed herbs or chopped fresh parsley
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
½ cup (125 ml) grated Cheddar cheese, preferably reduced fat
- Preheat oven to 180 °C and lightly grease a 1,5 litre bread tin.
- Mix all ingredients together, but keep half the cheese aside.
- Spoon mixture into bread tin. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack.
- Savoury muffins: Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cups. Spoon mixture into cups and bake for 15-20 minutes. These make a delicious lunch-box snack.
- Add any herbs or seasonings of your choice, like chopped onion. Sprinkle with paprika or cayenne pepper and bake as above.
- Pot bread: Grease a cast-iron pot and bake bread over medium coals.
- This makes delicious toast the next day.