The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Apple and cinnamon muffins
Recipe from Mariëtta Hillhouse
Makes 12 muffins
1 cup (250 ml) cake flour
1 cup (250 ml) wholewheat flour
1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
2 tsp (10 ml) ground cinnamon
½ cup (125 ml) sugar
1 cup (250 ml) grated apples
1 cup (250 ml) finely grated carrots
3 eggs, beaten
100 ml low-fat or fat-free milk
½ cup (125 ml) sunflower oil
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180 °C and place paper muffin cups into a 12-hole muffin pan.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Stir in apples and carrots until blended.
- Beat eggs, milk, oil and vanilla together. Stir egg mixture into the dry ingredients until just mixed through. Take care not to overmix.
- Divide batter between muffin cups and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Mix 2 tsp sugar with a pinch of ground cinnamon and sprinkle on muffins before baking.
- To serve as a tea time treat, decorate muffins with a lemon icing. Mix ½ cup icing sugar with 1 tbsp lemon juice and drizzle over muffins.
- Bake as a cake in a 20 cm cake tin for 30-35 minutes. Use icing in tip 2.
- The apples can be replaced with more carrots for a carrot muffin or cake.