The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Coleslaw with apple and yoghurt
Recipe from Louise Bronkhorst
A coleslaw should be a crunchy, fresh salad. Serve the sauce on the side to keep the veggies and apples crispy.
4 cups (4 x 250 ml) cabbage, finely shredded or grated
2 carrots, grated
1 apple, peeled and grated
juice of 1 orange
½ cup (125 ml) mayonnaise, preferably reduced fat
¾ cup (180 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
½ tsp (2,5 ml) cumin seeds (optional)
black pepper to taste
- Mix the veggies and apple with the orange juice.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together to form the sauce.
- Serve the coleslaw with the yoghurt sauce on the side. This is a delicious salad with pork or chicken.
- Replace carrots with a thick slice of butternut, grated.
- If preferred, you can add ¼ cup each raisins and unsalted peanuts.
- Replace cumin with garam masala for a different flavour.