The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Yummy potato bake
Recipe from Marthie Roux
Serves 8 – 10
A potato bake is always a favourite, but is often very rich and salty. Try this version with yoghurt and mushrooms and watch how it becomes your new favourite.
1 cup (250 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt
3 tbsp (45 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
2 tbsp (30 ml) cake flour
2 tsp (10 ml) dried origanum or mixed herbs
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
black pepper to taste
10 medium potatoes in the skin, thinly sliced
2 onions, sliced
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
125 g mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup (60 ml) grated Cheddar cheese, preferably reduced fat
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Mix yoghurt, milk, flour, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Spread a little of this sauce on the base of an oven dish.
- Layer half the potatoes on the sauce. Place onions, garlic and mushrooms in an even layer on top.
- Cover with remaining potatoes and pour over the rest of the sauce.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Dried or fresh thyme is delicious in this dish.
- You can replace half the potatoes with sliced butternut or sweet potatoes.