The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Anna Nkoana
Potato salad is often covered in mayonnaise. The combination of yoghurt and mayonnaise makes it lower in fat and even more yummy.
8 medium potatoes in the skin
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
pinch of mustard powder
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
½ cup (125 ml) mayonnaise, preferably reduced fat
½ cup (125 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley
½ red or green pepper, seeds removed and chopped
½ onion, finely chopped (see tip)
1 hard-boiled egg, peeled and chopped (optional)
- Place potatoes and ½ tsp of the salt in a pot with water. Bring to the boil and cook until tender. Allow to cool, peel and cut in cubes.
- Mix mustard, the rest of the salt, lemon juice, pepper, mayonnaise, yoghurt and parsley.
- Mix sauce into potatoes with red pepper and onion.
- Sprinkle with egg and serve as a side dish.
- To soften the strong flavour of raw onion, cover with boiling water and allow to stand for a few minutes. Drain well and use as above.
- If fresh chives are available, add 2 tbsp chopped chives to the sauce.