The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Three bean salad
Recipe from Natasja de Jager
Everybody knows a three bean salad. This version uses less oil and sugar and is just as tasty.
200 g green beans, quartered
1 x 410 g tin butter beans or red kidney beans, drained
1 x 410 g tin baked beans in tomato sauce
1 onion, finely chopped (see tip)
1 red or green pepper, seeds removed and chopped
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
¼ cup (60 ml) white or red grape vinegar
2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower oil
1 small clove of garlic, finely chopped
black pepper to taste
- Place green beans in 2 cm of water in a small pot and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until just tender, but still bright green. Drain well.
- Mix the green and tinned beans, onion and red pepper together.
- Mix the remaining ingredients. Stir into the bean mixture and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Serve as a side dish or salad.
- To soften the strong flavour of raw onion, cover with boiling water and allow to stand for a few minutes. Drain well and use as above.