The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Spicy samp and beans
Recipe from Benedict Thutloa
This dish (also known as umngqusho) needs a bit of planning as you need to soak the samp and beans overnight.
1 cup (250 ml) uncooked samp
1 cup (250 ml) dried sugar beans
2 bay leaves
2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil
2 onions, chopped
4 carrots, sliced
1 tbsp (15 ml) curry powder or to taste
3 tomatoes, chopped
¼ medium cabbage, cut into strips
4 spinach leaves, cut into strips
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Soak samp and beans overnight in enough water and drain well.
- Place in a large pot with bay leaves and cover with 4 cups fresh water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat. Cover with a lid and simmer for 2 hours or until tender. Add more water if necessary.
- Heat oil in a pot and fry onions, carrots and curry powder.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain samp and beans if necessary. Add with cabbage, spinach and salt to onions and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with lemon juice and pepper and serve warm.
- Add 300 g stewing beef, fat removed to the samp and beans and cook together. Follow the recipe as above and increase the curry powder to taste.