The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Roasted vegetables with pasta
Recipe from Ina Koegelenberg
1 medium (750 g) butternut, cubed
4-5 baby marrows, thickly sliced
250 g mushrooms, quartered (optional)
1 onion, thickly sliced
1 tomato, cut in wedges
3 tbsp (45 ml) grape vinegar
2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
2 tsp (10 ml) dried origanum or rosemary
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
1 x 410 g tin butter beans, drained
300 g ribbon noodles or any pasta of your choice
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh origanum or parsley
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Place veggies in a single layer in an oven dish.
- Mix vinegar, sugar, half the oil, dried herbs and season with lemon juice and pepper.
- Pour vinegar mixture over veggies and toss until well coated. Roast for 30-45 minutes or until the veggies are cooked. Stir in the beans to warm through. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add pasta and salt. Cook until tender and drain well. Stir in remaining oil.
- Mix veggies and beans with warm pasta and sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- Fry veggies in the vinegar mixture in a large pan. Reduce heat and simmer with a lid for 30 minutes or until the veggies are cooked. Stir in beans and pasta as above.
- Sunflower seeds are delicious sprinkled over the veggies.
- Vegetarian lasagne: Use these veggies and the White sauce. Layer with lasagne sheets or the noodles. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.