The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Ratatouille with eggs
Recipe from Lindi van Zyl
Eggs are an important part of a healthy diet. So include them as part of your weekly meals.
4 tsp (20 ml) sunflower oil
2 onions, chopped
1 green or red pepper, seeds removed and chopped
4 baby marrows, chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, chopped or 1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
1 brinjal, chopped (optional)
2 tsp (10 ml) dried mixed herbs
1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcester sauce
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley or basil (optional)
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and fry onions and green pepper for a few minutes.
- Add baby marrows, tomatoes and brinjal with dried herbs, sugar and Worcester sauce.
- Fry for a few minutes, reduce the heat and simmer without a lid for 15-20 minutes.
- Season with lemon juice, pepper and half the parsley.
- Make 6 hollows in the sauce and pour in the rest of the oil.
- Crack an egg into each hollow. Simmer with a lid for about 4-5 minutes or until the egg is just cooked to your preference. Sprinkle with the rest of the parsley.
- Spoon an egg with some of the sauce onto 1-2 slices brown or wholewheat toast per person. Serve as a light meal.
- Leave out the eggs and use the sauce as a side dish with meat or a sauce on pap.