The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Whole roasted peri-peri chicken
Recipe from Corrie Foreman
Serves 4 – 6
A roast chicken is often served as a Sunday lunch and is always popular. Remember that peri-peri is quite hot, so season it to your family’s preference.
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
black pepper to taste
1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
2 tsp (10 ml) peri-peri or to taste
2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
2-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
1,2 kg whole chicken, skin and all fat removed
6 potatoes, quartered
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
½ cup (125 ml) water
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Mix the oil with all the seasonings, except the salt. Spread some of this paste over the chicken.
- Place chicken in a large oven dish.
- Toss the potatoes with the remaining paste and place in the oven dish around the chicken.
- Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pour the water into the oven dish. Cover with foil and roast chicken and potatoes for 30 minutes. Remove foil, toss potatoes in liquid and roast for another 30 minutes or until cooked.
- Serve with green veggies or a salad.