The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Marlene Weston
2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
4 chicken breasts on the bone, halved and skin and all fat removed
2 large carrots, thickly sliced
3 baby marrows, thickly sliced
1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
½ tsp (2,5 ml) paprika or cayenne pepper or to taste
1 tsp (5 ml) dried origanum or 1 tbsp chopped fresh origanum
½ cup (125 ml) water
1 x 410 g tin baked beans in tomato sauce
1 x 410 g tin butter or red kidney beans, drained (optional)
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add chicken and fry until golden brown.
- Add carrots, baby marrows, tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika and origanum.
- Add water, reduce heat and simmer with a lid for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Add tins of beans, salt and season with lemon juice and pepper. Heat through and stir in the parsley.
- Serve on small portions of pap, mealie rice or mashed potatoes.