The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Masala chicken with potatoes
Recipe from Farnaaz Ally
Serves 6 – 8
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
6 chicken breasts on the bone, halved and skin and all fat removed
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
3-4 cardamom pods
1 large cinnamon stick
1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin
2 tsp (10 ml) chilli powder or to taste
2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
1 tsp (5 ml) each turmeric and garam masala
3 tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
2 cups (500 ml) water or Homemade stock
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
½ cup (125 ml) buttermilk or plain low-fat yoghurt (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry chicken until golden brown. Spoon out and set aside.
- In the same pot fry onions, garlic and ginger for a few minutes. Stir in all the spices.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and water and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add chicken, potatoes and salt to sauce and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes or until the chicken and potatoes are cooked.
- Stir in the buttermilk and serve with small portions of brown rice. Garnish with fresh coriander.
- When cooking rice, make sure you only use ½ tsp salt in the water per cup of uncooked rice.
- For a milder curry, add 2 apples, cubed and replace chilli powder with mild curry powder.