The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Frank Swanepoel
8 chicken drumsticks or 4 chicken breasts on the bone, halved
2 large sweet potatoes with the skin, cubed
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
½ cup (125 ml) water or dry white wine
2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil
1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
5 sprigs thyme or 2 tsp dried thyme
black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Remove skin and all fat from chicken.
- Place chicken and sweet potatoes in an oven dish.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients and pour over the chicken and sweet potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until the chicken and sweet potatoes are cooked.
- Serve with a salad.
- Make this dish on the stove. Fry chicken in the sunflower oil in a large pot. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer with a lid over a low heat for 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Origanum, rosemary or cumin is also delicious in this dish.
- Lemon and herb chicken: Prepare and roast a whole chicken as for Whole roasted peri-peri chicken and use the seasonings in this recipe.