The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Catherine Harvey
Serves 4 – 6
Thanks to chutney being a true South African ingredient, everyone has a variation of this recipe. To make it lower in fat, but still yummy, yoghurt is used instead of mayonnaise.
6-8 chicken portions e.g. drumsticks and thighs, skin and all fat removed
1 large onion, halved and sliced
1 cup (250 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt
½ cup (125 ml) chutney
½ cup (125 ml) orange juice or rooibos tea
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
2 tsp (10 ml) cornflour, mixed with water to make a paste
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Place chicken and onion in an oven dish.
- Mix yoghurt, chutney, juice, salt and cornflour paste and pour over the chicken.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Serve with small portions of brown rice or mashed potatoes and broccoli and carrots.
- Pork chops with all fat removed, can be cooked in the same way. Add cubes of butternut to the oven dish for extra flavour.