The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Chicken pasta with broccoli
Recipe from Nomvula Mthembu
Kids love pasta as a meal, making this ideal for the whole family.
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
3 chicken breasts on the bone, halved and skin and all fat removed
2 tsp (10 ml) dried mixed herbs
1 cup (250 ml) water
2 onions, chopped
1 green or red pepper, seeds removed and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3 tbsp (45 ml) cake flour
1 cup (250 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
200 g broccoli, cut in small pieces
2 tsp (10 ml) prepared mustard
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
250 g fusilli or any pasta shape of your choice
- Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a pot and fry chicken until golden brown. Reduce the heat and add herbs with water.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes or until cooked. Spoon out and remove bones. Keep liquid aside.
- Heat another 1 tsp of the oil in the same pot and fry onions, green pepper and garlic for a few minutes.
- Stir in the flour until absorbed. Slowly stir in the cooking liquid until it forms a sauce.
- Stir in the milk and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add the chicken, broccoli, mustard, ½ tsp of the salt and season with lemon juice and pepper.
- Simmer until the broccoli is just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add pasta and the other ½ tsp of salt. Cook until tender and drain well. Stir the remaining 1 tsp of oil into the warm pasta.
- Stir the sauce into the pasta and serve warm.
- Use left-over chicken or meat and add in step 6 or use 2 tins of tuna in brine, drained.
- Pasta bake: Spoon pasta mixture into an oven dish. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of grated Cheddar cheese, preferably reduced fat, and bake at 180 °C until golden brown.