The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Chicken à la king
Recipe from Shireen Sallie
Serves 4 – 6
1,2 kg whole chicken, skin and all fat removed
1 cup (250 ml) water
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 each green and red pepper, seeds removed and sliced
250 g mushrooms, sliced (optional)
3 tbsp (45 ml) cake flour
½ cup (125 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
1 tsp (5 ml) dried parsley
1 tsp (5 ml) dried thyme or 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Place chicken in a large pot with water and bay leaf. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat.
- Simmer with a lid for 1 hour. Spoon out chicken, remove bones and shred meat. Keep liquid aside.
- Heat oil in the same pot and fry onion, garlic, green and red peppers and mushrooms.
- Stir in flour until absorbed. Gradually stir in cooking liquid and milk.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens. Stir in chicken, herbs, salt and season with lemon juice and pepper.
- Serve with small portions of brown rice and veggies of your choice.
- If mushrooms are not available substitute with 1 cup of frozen peas, rinsed.
- Beef stroganoff: Replace cooked chicken with 500 g lean beef strips. Fry the meat first and then continue as from step 3. Prepare the sauce with 1½ cups of milk as you will not have any cooking liquid.