The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Stew with beef and tomatoes
Recipe from Liesl Nel
2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil
1 kg beef stewing meat with bones, all fat removed
2 onions, chopped
3 celery stalks, thickly sliced
3 carrots, sliced diagonally into large chunks
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
1 tsp (5 ml) dried mixed herbs
1 tbsp (15 ml) dried or chopped fresh origanum
2 bay leaves
1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
½ cup (125 ml) water or dry red wine
½ cup (125 ml) Homemade stock or water with 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
pinch of cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry meat in batches until browned. Spoon out.
- Fry onions, celery, carrots and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, meat, herbs, bay leaves, paprika, salt, water and stock. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 1½-2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Season with lemon juice, pepper and cayenne pepper. Remember not to add more salt at the table.
- Serve on small portions of brown rice or mashed potatoes and green beans.
- Substitute the beef with chicken, skin and all fat removed, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- To bulk up this stew, add a tin of butter beans, drained.