The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Steak with mushroom sauce
Recipe from Elize van Zyl
4 tsp (20 ml) sunflower oil
1 onion, sliced
250 g mushrooms, halved and sliced
2 tbsp (30 ml) cake flour
1 cup (250 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
1 tsp (5 ml) Worcester sauce
½ tsp (2,5 ml) dried thyme
4 x 160 g steaks or chops, all fat removed
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- Heat half the oil in a pan and fry onion and mushrooms until tender and browned.
- Stir in flour until absorbed and add milk a little at a time. Stir well to form a sauce.
- Simmer for a few minutes to thicken. Season with lemon juice, pepper, Worcester sauce and thyme.
- Heat rest of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry meat for 5-7 minutes on the one side.
- Sprinkle with half the salt and season with lemon juice and black pepper. Turn over.
- Fry for another 5-7 minutes and season again. Steak or chops should still be juicy when cooked.
- Serve meat immediately with mushroom sauce, butternut and a salad or green veggies.
- Serve steak with the Chakalaka sauce.
- Remember not to have red meat more than 2-3 times a week.