The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Ria van Wyk
Serves 4 – 6
2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh origanum
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
black pepper to taste
500 g leg or shoulder of pork, all fat removed and cut in cubes
1 onion, cut in pieces
1 green or red pepper, seeds removed and cut in pieces
½ pineapple, cut in pieces
- Mix lemon juice, oil, origanum, salt and pepper.
- Place meat in a shallow dish and pour marinade over. Stir through to coat the meat.
- Marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Thread meat with onion, pepper and pineapple onto sosatie sticks.
- Braai over medium coals for 8-10 minutes on each side or until the meat is cooked, but still juicy.
- Fry these sosaties over a medium heat in a frying pan using the marinade. This marinade can be used to make chicken or fish sosaties.
- If available, dried prunes or apricots are delicious on these sosaties.
- Add 1 tsp curry powder to the marinade, if preferred.