The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Cottage pie with sweet potatoes
Recipe from Ursula Bezuidenhout
Try this sweet potato version of an old classic. The sweet potatoes add flavour and are delicious with the beans.
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
500 g lean beef mince
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 carrots, grated
1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
1 x 410 g tin baked beans in tomato sauce
2 tsp (10 ml) dried origanum
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
1 cup (250 ml) frozen mixed vegetables, rinsed
3 large sweet potatoes or 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
2 tbsp (30 ml) warm low-fat or fat-free milk
½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground nutmeg
- Heat half the oil in a pot and fry mince until browned. Spoon out and drain off excess fat.
- Heat the rest of the oil in the same pan and fry the onion, garlic and carrots until soft.
- Add tomatoes, mince, beans and herbs. Simmer with a lid for 20 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Season with lemon juice and black pepper. Stir in mixed vegetables and spoon into an oven dish.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Meanwhile, place sweet potatoes, salt and enough water in a pot. Bring to the boil and simmer until tender.
- Drain and mash with a potato masher. Stir in milk and nutmeg and spread over the mince mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with a salad.