The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Buttermilk marinated chops
Recipe from Esmé Hanekom
South Africa loves to braai. Try this buttermilk marinade, instead of a shop-bought marinade.
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
½ cup (125 ml) buttermilk
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp (5 ml) dried parsley or 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
6 x 160 g pork chops, all fat removed
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Place pork chops in a shallow dish and pour marinade over.
- Stir through to coat chops with marinade. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Braai chops over medium coals for 5-8 minutes on each side or until cooked to your preference.
- Serve with Oven-baked chips and a salad.
- Pan-fry chops in a thin layer of oil for a few minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked.
- Chicken pieces, skin and fat removed or lean lamb chops are also delicious with this marinade.
- Spicy marinade: Add 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp each ground coriander and cumin to marinade.