The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Beef stew with vegetables
Recipe from Kedibone Sechuane
We all enjoy a mouth-watering stew on a cold day. Remember to remove all visible fat from the meat.
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
1 kg beef stewing meat with bones, all fat removed
1 onion, chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) ground coriander
1 bay leaf
½ cup (125 ml) water
½ cup (125 ml) Homemade stock or water with 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
½ medium cabbage, cut in thick strips
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- Heat half the oil in a large pot and fry meat in batches until golden brown. Spoon out and set aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil in the same pot. Fry onion, potatoes and carrots with coriander and bay leaf for a few minutes.
- Add water, stock and meat and simmer with a lid for 1½ hours or until the meat is tender.
- Add cabbage and simmer with a lid for another 15 minutes. Stir in salt.
- Season with lemon juice and black pepper and stir in parsley.
- Serve with small portions of pap or mashed potatoes.