The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Beef sishebo with beans
Recipe from Beauty Maseko
Serves 4 – 6
A flavourful one-pot supper. The butternut and spices are perfect with the beef and beans.
½ cup (125 ml) dried sugar beans or white beans
2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil
500 g beef stewing meat with bones, all fat removed
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 green pepper, seeds removed and chopped
2 cups (500 ml) water
1 cinnamon stick (optional)
2 tbsp (30 ml) curry powder
2 potatoes, chopped
300 g butternut, cubed
2 tomatoes, chopped
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Soak beans in 1 litre of water overnight. Rinse and drain.
- Heat half the oil in a pot and fry meat until golden brown. Spoon out and set aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil and fry onions, carrots and green pepper for a few minutes.
- Add beans, meat, water and cinnamon. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat.
- Simmer with a lid for 1½ hours or until the beans are cooked.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for another 30 minutes or until the meat, beans and veggies are tender.
- Season with lemon juice and pepper and serve hot.
- Leave out the potatoes and serve on a small portion of samp. Add 1 cup of frozen peas to the sishebo at the end.