The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Recipe from Donnell Isobell
This is so easy that you can get the kids to help. Donell’s son loves helping his mom make this.
4 slices brown or wholewheat bread
1 cup (250 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
3 eggs, beaten
2 x 170 g tins tuna in brine, drained
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, seeds removed and chopped
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
1 tsp (5 ml) paprika or to taste
¼ cup (60 ml) grated Cheddar cheese, preferably reduced fat
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Soak bread in milk until soft and mash with a fork.
- Mix bread and milk with eggs, tuna, onion, green pepper and salt.
- Season with parsley, lemon juice, pepper and half the paprika.
- Spoon into an oven dish and sprinkle with cheese and remaining paprika.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Serve immediately with a salad.
- Substitute the bread with 1-1½ cups of cooked brown rice and use as above. Left-over rice works well.