The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Pasta with tuna and peas
Recipe from Denise da Silva
A simple, yet tasty family supper.
250 g elbow noodles
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, seeds removed and chopped
1 tsp (5 ml) curry powder
2 x 170 g tins tuna in brine, drained
1 x 410 g tin cream style sweetcorn
¼ cup (60 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
1 cup (250 ml) frozen peas, rinsed
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add pasta and ½ tsp of the salt. Cook until tender and drain well. Stir in 1 tbsp of the oil and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Meanwhile, heat rest of the oil in a pot and fry onion and green pepper.
- Add curry powder and fry for a few minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in remaining ingredients with the rest of the salt.
- Mix sauce with warm pasta and season with lemon juice and pepper.
- Spoon into an oven dish and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- If you prefer a spicier sauce, fry 1 chilli, chopped with the onion.