The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Fish cakes with pilchards
Recipe from Hazel Nortje
Makes about 20 fish cakes
Fish on a Friday is a familiar favourite. A tin of pilchards can go a long way to feed a family quickly.
1 x 425 g tin pilchards in tomato sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1 small onion, grated
1 carrot or baby marrow, grated
½ cup (125 ml) self-raising flour
5 tbsp (75 ml) oats
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley
3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh coriander or more parsley
1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato sauce or chutney
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- Flake fish and small bones in the tomato sauce, with a fork.
- Mix fish with the remaining ingredients, except the oil.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a frying pan and place spoonfuls of the batter in the pan.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown and cooked. Drain on paper towel and keep warm. Repeat with the rest of the oil and batter.
- Serve with lemon wedges, a green salad and a baked potato per person.