The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Spicy pilchard stew
Recipe from Tebatso Motsepe
Some people call this a pilchard stew and others know it as a smorrie or smoortjie. It doesn’t matter what you call it, you will enjoy this tasty meal.
2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1-2 green chillies or to taste, thinly sliced (optional)
2 tsp (10 ml) curry powder or to taste
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 x 425 g tin pilchards in tomato sauce
½ tsp (2,5 ml) sugar or apricot jam
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry onion and garlic.
- Add chillies, curry powder and cumin and fry for a few minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, pilchards with the sauce, sugar and salt. Simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Season with lemon juice and black pepper. Serve with a small portion of brown rice.
- Try this stew with a pasta of your choice. Pap or samp is also delicious.