The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Brown rice and tuna salad
Recipe from Noleen Narainsamy
Serves 4 – 6
Instead of a rich mayonnaise dressing, try this rice salad with a homemade dressing.
1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown rice
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
1 x 170 g tin tuna in brine, drained
2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
½ cucumber, halved and sliced
½ cup (125 ml) frozen whole kernel corn, rinsed
1 carrot, chopped
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh mint or origanum
3 tbsp (45 ml) sunflower oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) white grape vinegar
black pepper to taste
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- Place rice and salt in a pot and cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 40 minutes or until tender. Drain, rinse and allow to cool.
- Dressing: Mix ingredients in a bowl until well blended.
- Stir tuna, veggies and herbs into the rice with the dressing.
- Serve as a light meal or lunch.
- Replace tuna with left-over chicken.