The most important aim of this recipe book is to help people to cook heart healthy meals using readily available and economical ingredients.
Baked fish with tomatoes
Recipe from Dolores Adams
If you often prepare fish with a creamy white sauce, rather try this healthy and tasty tomato and herb version.
2 slices brown or wholewheat bread
juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
black pepper to taste
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) dried or chopped fresh origanum
4 x 160 g firm white fish portions, thawed if frozen
3 tomatoes, sliced
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
¼ cup (60 ml) water
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Crumble bread with your fingertips to form small pieces.
- Mix breadcrumbs with lemon rind, salt, pepper, garlic and origanum.
- Place fish in an oven dish or baking tray and pack a few slices of tomato on top of each portion.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture and pour lemon juice and oil over the fish. Pour water into the dish to prevent fish from sticking and drying out.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the fish is just cooked and the crumbs are golden brown. Don’t overcook the fish.
- Serve immediately with salad or veggies and a baked potato.
- Crumbed chicken: Dip chicken portions in buttermilk and then in the crumb mixture. Bake as above.